Small Business Size Standards Methodology
For its ongoing comprehensive size standards review and future regulatory actions relating to size standards, SBA has developed a “Size Standards Methodology White Paper,”explaining how it establishes, reviews and modifies its small business size standards pursuant to the Small Business Act and related legislative guidelines.
The white paper provides a brief review of the following:
- Legal authority, early legislative history and regulatory history of small business size standards
- Detailed description of evaluation of industry structure and program information and data sources
- Numerous policy issues regarding the objectives and direction of size standards
- Appendix summarizing the detailed analytical steps involved in the evaluation of size standards for an industry
Can the Methodology Change?
SBA welcomes comments from the public on its methodology regarding a number of issues. SBA is aware that different choices among size standards can involve complex tradeoffs among relevant variables; and it invites comments on how to identify and weigh those variables.
Suggestions are welcome on alternative methodologies for determining small businesses on:
- How these size standards affect competition in general and within the specific industry
- Alternative or additional factors that SBA should consider
- If SBA’s approach to small business size standards makes sense in the current economic environment
- If SBA’s use of anchor size standards are appropriate in the current economy
- If there are gaps in SBA’s methodology because of the lack of comprehensive data
- Alternative data sets SBA should consider for a specific sector
Please follow the instructions in the notice of the October 21, 2009 Federal Register for submitting comments to SBA.
Moms Build a Small Business on Better Tissues
In 2007, Julie Pickens and Mindee Doney found a $16 million business hiding in theirRead More
Ten ways small business owners can improve their financial literacy
As a small business owner, a deep understanding of your company’s financial situation drastically improvesRead More